Aleister Crowley was extremely influential on the culture of the twentieth century and still remains so.
Here are a few of the people he has inspired, I thought the likes of Ozzy Osbourne, Marilyn Manson, Robert Anton Wilson, Timothy Leary and Iron Maiden were a bit too obvious!
1. The Beatles- Aleister appears in the galaxy of faces on the cover of Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band:-
Jay-Z also likes that line…
4. Sting/The Police- Synchronicity II is rumoured to partly be about events at the aforementioned Boleskine.
5. Manic Street Preachers- Features AC in the video for the song “You Love Us”:-
6. Ian Fleming- The creator of James Bond was involved in a plot to use Crowley as a secret agent, amongst numerous missions one being to fool Rudolf Hess with fake horoscopes. At least two Bond villains were based on Crowley, Le Chiffre and Blofeld. 007 did come from Elizabethan magician John Dee’s codename after all.
7. Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard called Crowley his “very good friend”, but along with Jack Parsons, one of the pioneers of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Labs, was criticised by Crowley for the Babalon Working where an attempt was made to create a Moonchild.
8. David Bowie stated he was “immersed in Crowley’s uniform”
10. Daryl Hall of the rock duo Hall and Oates admits that he follows Crowley. “I became fascinated with Aleister Crowley, the nineteenth-century British magician who shared those beliefs. … I was fascinated by him because his personality was the late-nineteenth-century equivalent of mine—a person brought up in a conventionally religious family who did everything he could to outrage the people around him as well as himself”