One of my six sibs is living in Avalon, near Sydney, Australia, and very nice it sounds too. But did you know some amazing tunes and videos came out of that country over the years? Here is my own, ahem, eclectic top 10:-
1. Dé jà vu – Sia with Giorgio Moroder
Sia is the Aussie of course. So talented, some bonkers videos (such as her collab with legend Shia LaBeouf), but I lurrrve everything about this one.
She also sang on Titanium, Elastic Heart, Cheap Thrills, Chandelier, Guts Over Fear and Beautiful Pain with Eminem and wrote songs such as Perfume for Britney Spears.
2. That Day – Natalie Imbruglia
The lyrics are so Zen, man
3. Confide In Me – Kylie Minogue
Freaky but good video.
4. For Whom The Bell Tolls – The Bee Gees
They count as Aussie. There is too much arson in this video, but I like it.
5. Affirmation – Savage Garden
The lyrics are sooo PC but love guru-y in places, so is good.
6. Big Yellow Taxi – Counting Crows ft. Vanessa Carlton
It may be sacrilege to Joni Mitchell fans, and Vanessa Carlton is deeply annoying to some, but catchy.
7. Live It Up – Mental As Anything
Seems an archetypal Aussie song of the 80s, quite sweet really.
8. Never Tear Us Apart – INXS
That whole mysterious death and Saint Bob thing.
9. Overkill – Men At Work
Down Under was their biggie, but I prefer this more cerebral if less funny one.
10. Sweet Disposition – Temper Trap
A bit more contemporary. Well I wasn’t going to go for 5 Seconds of Summer…